Monday 23 December 2013

Realised it had been a bit of a while


This is one of the resulting exhibitions stemming from my work into the exploration of what colour is, its primary and secondary qualitatives alongside its cultural and societal backgrounds, culminating in a witnessed phenomena of colour within the viewer.
Just a bit of documentation of some of my work, I think it illustrates some of what I am doing, while still keeping an aesthetic beauty, so I thought I should include it.

Ultramarine purple. A pigment which seems to encompass that of two of the most royal colours to ever gross the artist palette and I think it holds its own beauty while illustrating just how lucrative colour language really is.
This image was a part of one of my recent exhibitions at the university, illustrating the beauty of raw pigments which has inspired so many famous artists through the year, including Yves Klein, who once said "what luster, what ancient brilliance" in response to seeing the raw elements of paint, going on to show his dismay in how this beauty is lost in the mediums of his day, an idea perpetuated by Anish Kapor.
My blue room, an exhibition displaying the phenomena and subversiveness of colour, while attempting to illustrate some of the theories of contrast and harmony laid out by some of the greatest colour theorists and scientists of time, such as; Michel Eugène Chevreul, Ogden Rood, James Clerk Maxwell and George Field. The next four images display some of the elements of this instalation
This final image displays some of the strangest, most valuable and toxic paints we have ever used. Having created these paints from their raw pigments provided a lot of fun, although incredibly dangerous and should not be tried at home without the correct precautions. From left to right the paints are made from; a derivative of cynaide, lapis lazuli, ultramarine, cobalt and mercury sulphide. The green, yellow and red have all claimed many many lives in their lifetime, yet I think they hold some of the most beautiful colour paint I have ever come across, I am not sure if this picture really does them justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment